Let’s not argue now about high vs. low culture. I’m in the midst of writing a post on T.S. Eliot’s The Waste Land; its beauty and depth are kicking my butt. But on the road from Tony Stark’s (pretty racist) origin fighting a bunch of commies to a world where can be just as artful as stories without drawings, something remarkable happened.
The nerds won. Our dorky compulsions and secret loves have blossomed into everyone’s entertainment. Think of the huge followings garnered by The Walking Dead (originally a graphic novel) and Game of Thrones (not a comic, but something that would have been considered major dork-fodder in years past). I have no idea if this is a good thing. But I am happy to have the extra company and to see my favs come to life in big-budget Hollywood productions. Rise Of The Superheroes: Winners And Losers : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture (via npr)
- When something bad happens: True is it that we have seen better days.
- When something REALLY bad happens: O woe! O woeful, woeful, woeful day! Most lamentable day. Most woeful day That ever, ever I did yet behold! O day, O day, O day! O hateful day! Never was seen so black a day as this.O woeful day! O woeful day!
- When people say that something is wrong because the Bible says so: The Devil can cite scripture for his purpose.
- When my girlfriend abandons me for food: FRAILTY, THY NAME IS WOMAN!
- When someone doesn't thank me for holding the door open for them: BLOW, BLOW, BLOW, THOU WINTER WIND! THOU ART NOT SO UNKIND AS MAN'S INGRATITUDE!
- When I burn something while cooking: MY CAKE IS DOUGH!
- When human stupidity frustrates me: LORD, WHAT FOOLS THESE MORTALS BE!
- When someone says I'm going to hell for my sins: NYMPH, IN THY ORISONS BE ALL MY SINS REMEMBER'D.
- When I'm broke: My pride fell with my fortunes
- When someone turns the light on after a period of darkness and blinding light ensues: OH, SHE DOTH TEACH THE TORCHES TO BURN BRIGHT!
- When someone disagrees with me: THERE ARE MORE THINGS IN HEAVEN AND EARTH, HORATIO, THEN ARE DREAMT OF IN YOUR PHILOSOPHY.
- When I argue with my girlfriend: The course of true love never did run smooth.
- When I'm embarrassed: MUST I HOLD A CANDLE TO MY SHAMES?!
- Someone says "Good Night": Good Night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.